Friday, August 1, 2008

Foster boys

Every time we foster a child, part of my heart stays with that child...

I went to a gathering of several foster mothers this morning and got to see Slayd again, a little boy we did respite for almost 2 years ago (for just a week). I hadn't seen him since. He still looks so very handsome (he's 3 now)- - - but my heart was/is aching for him. He looks so SAD, almost as if part of him was "dead" - - - and I'm sure it is. Since he's been with us, he's been with several caregivers, one of them was his biological mom, who had him for 6 months but had to give him up again, because things weren't going well. I just want to cry...
When we had him, there was a couple who wanted to have him permanently, but his mother has been fighting against this. They just got him 2 1/2 months ago, and it's still not permanent...

I also got some news about Shohan, who we took care of as a newborn for 3 weeks 2 years ago. He was with his Dad when a terrible accident happened and he lost one eye!
He recently moved to Bangladesh with his Dad, being raised by his Muslim grandparents and Dad.
This also hurts - - - although I know that none of my prayers for him as a newborn were in vain and surely God can/will have a way to get through to him - somehow - - -

In the meantime, Shayden continues to be SUCH a joy, giggling and being so very very happy!
He is getting more secure, developing steadily, even though I was just told again today by the speech therapist that he is 12 months behind in his development.
Social Services still haven't found another family for him.
My heart aches for him, too - - - I wish there was a way we could keep him, but ...

No comments: