Saturday, November 8, 2008

Shayden adopting us?

A while ago, I mentioned that we "might" keep Shayden now, after all. I thought, I'd better follow up on that and let y'all know that YES, we will be keeping him (permanent foster care, adoption isn't possible)!!!
The story on how it all came about is waaaayyy to long to blog about.
All I can say is that I am in awe of God and HOW he orchestrated the whole journey up to today.
If you are interested to read the full account, leave me a comment with your email address, and I will send you a Word document that I wrote up with all that led up to our decision (beware - 6 pages!) :)
Anyways, I feel so blessed that God is entrusting us with Shayden's precious life!
WHAT A PRIVILEGE AND HIGH RESPONSIBILITY!!!
I have loved the little man from before I even laid eyes on him - just after I heard about him.
I have loved him like my own child not long after he arrived with us (almost 16 mths ago!).
I love him every day and enjoy him soooo much - - - even though he can be most annoying at times, especially when he refuses to eat time and again --- grrrr... =)

This past week, Rich came home one evening after he'd been with the DTS - looked at Shayden with "those lovin' eyes" and asked him: "Shayden, do you want to adopt us?"
When the rest of the family (including Shayden) looked at Rich funny - (we were all sitting around the dinner-table, ready to start dinner) - he explained:
The DTS had had a Kiwi church historian speak about NZ church history and the relationship between the Maori and the European missionaries. It was quite fascinating and moving.

Rich came out of this time feeling that what was happening with us taking on Shayden as part of our family was actually just as much about him, a Maori, taking us on into his country/people - "adopting" us into New Zealand. WOW!!!

We can't see all the ramifications of what this means quite yet, but it does seem profound . . .
and we feel honoured!

By the way, speaking of getting "adopted" into NZ - Rich and I both voted today at the New Zealand elections! YEP, we get to vote, too!!! It was pretty exciting - as simple as it was:)
This was the first time we both voted, believe it or not!!!

We've both been gone from our home-countries since we were able to vote and never felt well enough informed to vote by mail.

We did feel well enough informed for these elections and GLADLY did our part in the decision that is still to be announced - later tonight.

I'd better head off direction bed and not take advantage of my returning strength and health - and get some sleeeep.

Shayden playing "Yatzee"

2 comments:

A Queen raising 3 prince's said...

Hello, my name is Kami. I live in Santa Rosa CA... I go to Vertical Call (AKA Christian Life Church) I remember your family. I just got a e~mail asking to be praying for your family and in the e~mail had your blog info.. I'm so happy I have this.. your blog has been a delight to read.. I'm so looking forward to read more about your family and praying for you when you need it.. blessings Kami

A Queen raising 3 prince's said...

oh I forgot to leave my e~mail address. I would love to read about Shayden. my e~mail is
kds3lads@hotmail.com
blessing
Kami