Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lesson #1 learned today:

....NEVER EVER leave your purse out of sight for even a minute - even in a Missions Exhibit in "safe" New Zealand!

A little while ago I shared with you about this project that Rich and I have been involved with.
Well, today was the official "Send-Off" of the ship "Pacific Link" for the YWAM NZ Ship Tour to 8 port cities. Number 1 goal: raise awareness of missions needs and opportunities and challenge a new generation of young Kiwis into missions.

I committed to (wo)manning a part of the exhibit before we knew that Rich was going to Samoa.
So, off I went to set up, hang up posters, photos, lots of creative and informative stuff - and share with people walking through about the needs etc.

I left the Kylie and Shayden in the loving and capable hands of church staff (kids programs at church) in the morning and Jeremie and Leilani until they were going to join me after Shayden's nap - cuz there was also all kinds of other exciting stuff happening at the send-off, like a huge inflatable slide, sausage sizzle, live music and tours on the ship.

So far, so good - except I had only had 4 hours of sleep in the night - not to mention the whole crazy week - single mom, container, housework, guest.

My brain was obviously not at its best and I left my purse in a place that was - hmm - accessible to people walking through. I usually kept my eye on it at all times, but not THAT time.

I was off in the next "booth" talking with someone for just a minute, came back - and it was GONE!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Anyway, it's been a fascinating day - - - to say the least.
What I regret the most is the loss of our camera - a nice camera, that I had just taken a bunch of photos with - some of which I was going to share here with YOU - - - ! BUMMER!!!

In the bag was also my cell phone, my wallet with ALL KINDS OF CARDS - - - and some cash.
I hardly ever carry any cash (my kids could tell you). But just last night, some amazing co-worker came by our house and gave me NZ$100, so that I could surprise Rich next Sunday when I pick him up from the airport - and take him for an over-nighter to a hotel in Auckland instead of straight home to the "crazy" family... And that money was in my wallet today! Bummer #2!!!

I could tell you lots more, like how I miss my sunglasses and reading glasses - or how we got back into the car - with keys stolen - - - but I won't bore you with details and Ireally should go to bed now.

When I called Rich on his cell phone about the cancellation of one of our cards, he was still walking in the bush in Samoa (at 6pm) - things seem to be going well.

I won't hide that this day has not been easy - but tomorrow's another day!

Even though I know that the theft of my purse was my own negligence, this quote comforts me.
I have found that EVERY TIME our family does something significant in the kingdom, there is some kind of "cost" involved.

"A faith that costs nothing and demands nothing is worth nothing."

A thought that came to me soon after the theft: Rich is helping people that have lost everything.
I was just advocating for the orphans who also have nothing.
I could relate just this little bit better to them this afternoon - - - - - - - -
And I am grateful, because though I have lost a lot, I still have a lot left!!!

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

I'd have to totally agree that our enemy is angry with our activity in Kingdom business...my purse was stolen a few days before we said *yes* to sweet Princess Sweetness (in Ethiopia). The devil thought he could distract us off the mission of prayer that we embarked on, he thought that taking my purse on day two of a *gift* vacation would stop us seeking God. hahahahahaha

Wrong, devil...way wrong. You might of got the purse, the gps system, got my bag of knitting projects that I had worked on all summer and smashed my car window...but you didn't keep us from falling on our knees. AND we heard from heaven, as we believed we would...and another orphan is getting an *on fire* Christian home. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it devil...

;-) Sorry about your purse...glad you are okay...its just stuff and stuff isn't eternal anyway, right!

hug
Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted